Kittrell School Parent and Family Engagement Policy 2017-2018
A. Parent/School Communication (regular, effective communication)
1. Providing activities and communications such as, but not limited to: newsletters, informational meetings, surveys, parent representation, school agendas, conferences, and websites.
2. Respond to parent communications in a timely manner.
3. Provide each family with a copy of the district and school Parent/Family Engagement Policy.
4. Include parents/families in committees for planning and evaluating the program and parent engagement.
5. Complete annual Fall Meeting at convenient times for parents/families. a. Info re: Kittrell, Title I fund requirements, parent/family engagement plans, Rutherford Co. Curriculum and achievement levels.
6. Ensure school related information on programs, meetings, and other activities are sent to parents in a format and to the extent practical in a language everyone will understand.
7. Submit parent comments on the schoolwide program when the school makes the plan available to the school district.
B. Partnership School/Home (Sharing Power, Welcoming all families into the school community)
1. Develop with parents a written agreement listing things the school and home should do to help students do well in school.
2. Meet together for parent-teacher conferences, regularly scheduled or as needed.
3. Provide opportunities for parents to come in to volunteer in classroom and school activities.
4. Keep positive communication lines open at all times with agendas, calls, notes, or visits when needed (email when available).
5. Provide incentive programs and learning activities that involve parent participation at home.
6. Give parents an opportunity to review and improve the parent/family engagement policy and school improvement plan.
C. Positive Parent and Family Engagement (Speaking up for every child, supporting student success)
1. Assist parents with information and needs by coordinating with other community programs and agencies.
2. Send home positive personal notes and/or make calls to each family concerning their child’s progress or conduct.
3. Provide information to parents about educational goals, standards, and assessments through meetings, newsletters, etc.
4. If requested, regular meetings with parents/families to participate in decisions relating to the education of their student
5. Inform parents concerning opportunities for training in literacy and job skills through notices in newsletters.
6. Help parents with strategies to work with their children and foster learning in daily opportunities by providing parents with training sessions, pamphlets, brochures, newsletters etc…
7. Provide on-going, flexible number of parent/family engagement activities, training and classes that accommodate varying schedules.
8. Conduct staff development that promotes parent engagement and learning strategies.
D. Ensuring Full Participation (Collaborating with community) This school will strive for full engagement of all parents/families by reaching out and addressing barriers with the following:
1. Provide phone calls or visits to parents unable to visit school.
2. Coordinate with ELL to meet the needs of parents whose native language may not be English.
3. Coordinate with other agencies or organizations to refer parents with handicaps or special problems.
4. Continually striving to provide an inviting and safe atmosphere for all parents.
5. Communicate in simple and understandable language.
6. Recognize volunteers.
7. Make the parent/family engagement policy available to the local community.